An Irish Welcome

Céad Míle Fáilte friend and rover ...
Wherever you come from and whosoever you may be.
That's an Irish greeting and it means

you are welcome
a thousand times over.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oh God, my Soul laments for You ...

by Abbess Xeni of Aegina (1867-1923).


A soul, of lamentations worthy, sorrows and is sighing,
and with a loud and fervent voice, the name of God is crying,
and saying, my God save me now, my God, have mercy on me,




O God, You've seen my darkness now, so shed Your light upon me,
my God, don't turn away from me, but quickly hear my pleading,
enlighten my soul's eyes, O God, with spiritual leading;
because they have been blinded from the sins within my depths.




O wretched self, I cannot see;
my God, I lose my steps.

Miserable me, I cannot see,
my God, where I am going,
or where I stand, or that I am a stranger, passed my knowing.



Many clouds and mists my soul in darkness shroud and cover,
and without measure I embitter You, my sweetest Savior.



O wretch, within I feel upheaval, mourning pierced my side,
for Your All-Holy Spirit, Lord, to me must be denied;
my soul must weep eternally her poverty of grace,
and without ceasing to lament in tears that woeful place.

I must avenge myself for all the pain sin makes me suffer,
and with the rivers of my tears, my deep repentance offer;
the tender earth to which I will return, with weeping drench,
to cleanse and flood away the traces of my sins' foul stench.

I am no longer worthy, Lord, to hope in Your compassion,
I'm worthy only of hell-fire, and suffering damnation.

But you,
my refuge is in You,
my God and my Salvation...
 

+

No comments:

Post a Comment