An Irish Welcome

Céad Míle Fáilte friend and rover ...
Wherever you come from and whosoever you may be.
That's an Irish greeting and it means

you are welcome
a thousand times over.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Regarding the fear that overcomes you at night, etc., know that it is from the tempter.
You will defeat him with faith in God.

In other words, you should reflect that God is everywhere present. "In God we live and move," (Acts 17:28) and nothing happens without God allowing it. Even if we find ourselves with the devil or amongst wild beasts, God is present! Neither the devil or the wild beasts are able to harm us if they do not have the authority from God to do so.


Why then should we lack this salvific truth of God---faith in His providence---and be afraid when there is nothing to fear? How can I be harmed, since God has authority over the devil and an evil person and everything that can harm me? And how will a person's guardian angel---who, by God's providence, never leaves him---permit him to be harmed, if he does not receive a command from the Lord to let him?

Therefore, my child, take courage. And when this fear comes upon you, say:
"Whom shall I fear? Who is able to harm me, since God governs everything? 'Even if I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me'" (Ps. 22:4).
At the same time, say the Jesus prayer, and fear nothing.

Believe firmly in the truth of faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment