An Irish Welcome

Céad Míle Fáilte friend and rover ...
Wherever you come from and whosoever you may be.
That's an Irish greeting and it means

you are welcome
a thousand times over.

Friday, May 14, 2010

A La Claire Fontaine by Shang Wen Jie

This is Shang Wen Jie's interpretation of a very old french children's song for the movie the "Painted Veil". The lyrics for this piece date back to the 16th century, and are credited to a French juggler and I offer a translation for your pleasure and enjoyment:


By the clear running fountain
I strayed one summer day.
The water looked so cooling
I bathed without delay.

Refrain:
Many long years have I loved you,
Ever in my heart you'll stay.


Beneath an oak tree shady
I dried myself that day
When from the topmost branch
A bird's song came my way.

Sing, nightingale, keep singing,
Your heart is always gay.
You have no cares to grieve you,
While I could weep today.

You have no cares to grieve you,
While I could weep today,
For I have lost my loved one
In such a senseless way.

She wanted some red roses
But I did rudely say
She could not have the roses
That I had picked that day.

Now I wish those red roses
Were on their bush today
While I and my beloved
Still went our old sweet way.

No comments:

Post a Comment